Friday, January 20, 2012

Inspiration of the Week: Shoes to Wear If You Don’t Wear High Heels


My inspiration this week is a person, rather than an item. One of my blog readers wrote in to ask me what shoes I’d pick for non-high heel wearers. So, what do you do if you’re a fun, fashionable female, but either out of preference or necessity, you can’t wear the current crop of sky scraping heels? Well, it’s simple really, you pick some of the gorgeous kitten heeled or flat versions of the same trends I talked about here. But to be a little more helpful and get into specifics, I’ve made some inspiring picks of shoes I love that have little or no heel.
  1. Ballet Flats. First, make friends with ballet flats. They are easy to slip on and off, comfortable and come in so many colors and patterns; they should be able to satisfy your every fashion whim. It’s funny, sometimes I have a harder time finding flats that don’t rub my feet in strange places than I do finding comfortable heels. The good news is that if you’ve ever had the same problem, they also make socks that will be low profile enough to slip into any shoe. For ballet flats, I recommend something like these. Some of my favorite ballet flats (all available at www.nordstrom.com) are shown below.


  2. Loafers. Usually a little more serious-minded than the ballet flat, a loafer can really make an outfit work ready. A loafer sometimes says, “I take what I’m doing seriously.” However, there is a new breed of loafers out there that are definitely party-appropriate. I love those glittery ones by Aldo shown below. And, while there are many high heeled styles out there, there are a ton of really cute low heeled and flat versions as well. The shoes shown are from www.ninewest.com, www.stevemadden.com and www.aldoshoes.com


  3. Oxfords. Menswear inspired, but sleeker and more feminine than the ones the boys wear, these shoes you throw on with a smart pair of trousers or tailored shorts. Just remember that if you go masculine on the bottom, to balance it out with a more feminine silhouette on the top. We are trying to be inspired by men, not turn into one. If you do want a little height but aren’t used to wearing heels, start out with a chunkier heel, like shown on both of the Naturalizer oxfords below (available at www.macys.com). A wider heel is easier and more comfortable to walk in than your typical stiletto.


  4. Wedges. Easier to wear than a conventional heel but still offering some height, the wedge is a nice alternative for the woman who wants height, but needs support. Wedges come in all levels of elevation, so just choose the one that is comfortable for you. All the pairs shown below are available at www.nordstrom.com


  5. Kitten Heels. I define a kitten heel as any heel under 1”. They are usually easy on the feet. The little heel gives you both a little height and a sexy feminine punch without all the tottering around taller heels can sometimes cause. Keep in mind, though, that the short heel base does sometimes require a little practice. So if you haven’t worked this height before, take a couple turns around your living room before road testing them. I found all these at www.amazon.com.


  6. Boots. Boots come in all heel heights and in every possible pattern and style. There are boots with studs for your bad ass days, boots with glitter for your glamour days and boots with smooth, buttery leather for your posh days. Heel height won’t limit you at all in this category. If you have a large calf and have trouble with boots that come up to knee height or above, look into some of the beautiful boots they carry at www.torrid.com. The selection below is from www.nordstrom.com and shows you just some of the variety you’ll find. I sort of wish I hadn’t found those Nordic inspired ones because they are calling my name.



So, don’t let heel height be an excuse. There are cute shoe selections at every elevation. I know you’ll find the right ones for you. Hope this helps you in your search.

Have some shoe finds you’d like to share? Want help with shoes for a specific occasion? Feel free to comment below or email me at princessheathab@gmail.com. Also, I’m always looking for new topics and guest bloggers.

Future blog topics include:

• How to Dress Appropriately for Any Occasion
• The Five Shoe Staples Every Girl Should Own
• How to Get Down in Black and Brown
• The Bra : On the Frontlines of Fashion
• Colored Jeans, A Rainbow of Possibilities
Trends To Buy Right Now
• Seven Ways to Save While Shopping

Be Fierce. Be Fashionable. Be Yourself.

XOXO

H

1 comment:

  1. Being a shoe lover, this post had me at hello.

    My best friend is a pair of ballet flats that is about to fall apart and looks like it needs to be thrown out....but I just can't let them go.

    ReplyDelete